Charles Hodges operated as a bookseller and stationer at
27 Portman Street, Portman Square, London,
from 1825-6 until 1830.
Following in the tradition of engraved pictorial playing cards, depicting educational, scientific and other subjects, which had its heyday in England during the 17th-18th centuries,
Hodges published these Geographical packs starting in 1828.
These cards were most probably made for Hodges by Stopforth & Son in London.
All cards are Gilt Edged.
This was the forerunner of the New Geographical Playing Cards where 12 court cards were added.
The booklet was printed by W Davy of Gilbert Street, Oxford Stree [ London ].
The cards and booklet fit snugly into the telescope box especially made for this issue – the box measures 82mm x 115mm x 18mm.
These are amongst the last of the finely engraved English cards as chromolithography was soon to take over.
This is an unsuited pack of 40 cards depicting counties and continents that made up our world as it was in 1827.cards.
These cards are hand painted and measure 64mm x 98mm
This complete set comes with a 31 page [ complete ] description of the cards and a brief summary of each of the countries/continents depicted.
The cards and booklet fit snugly into the made for telescopic box.